Summer Trips That Won’t Break the Bank
School’s out, pools are open, and the weather has taken a decided turn toward the balmy. That can only mean one thing: Summertime is here.
Of course, you’re probably not going to spend all your summer downtime lounging around the pool (not that there would be anything wrong with that). No, you’re probably going to be eager for a change of venue, a break from routine, and a chance to do and see things you’ve never done before.
There’s just one problem: Vacations cost money—and while you surely want to take some time off, you probably don’t want to come home to a bank account that’s in shambles.
Thankfully, there are plenty of good options for getting some vacation time without blowing through all your savings. Allow us to demonstrate.
1. Be a Tourist in Your Own Town
One way you can enjoy some leisure time while saving on the biggest travel expenses—like airfare and hotel stays—is to stick close to home. You can call it a staycation if you want to. We prefer to think of it as being a tourist in your own town.
This may be a lot more exciting than you think. It’s easy to take your home for granted, and a lot of us never actually go to all the attractions and touristy things that are right in our backyard.
There are tons of ways you can find things to do in your community, including some things you may not have known existed. Local Facebook groups help. You can also go to a local hotel and browse the brochures, or even inquire at the desk. And if you’re looking for kid-friendly sites to explore, do a Google search for local mom blogs. As usual, the moms have all the answers.
Also note that, even if your hometown is small and doesn’t have much in the way of attractions, there might be some day trips or fun-filled activities that are just an hour or two away—hiking trails, water parks, you name it. It’s possible to cast a wide net and still save some money.
2. Camp Out
Another option to explore is camping. Yes, you may need to travel a little further from home, and there’s an expense associated with that—but you’ll still avoid the high costs of airline tickets and hotels.
If you and your family love the outdoors, this is a no-brainer… and if you’re not quite ready to rough it in a tent, you can rent a camper for surprisingly affordable rates. That will allow you to explore some different parks and campsites and really get a feel for that outdoorsy lifestyle.
And speaking of camping, something else you might consider is venturing to a music festival—one that’s relatively close to home and has some artists you enjoy. Most festivals are located in close proximity to campsites. You can bring some of your own food and also enjoy the wares of food trucks. You’ll meet cool people, spend time outside, and of course you’ll get to hear plenty of great tunes!
And while we’re on the topic of camping, here’s one more idea: If you have little ones to whom you’d like to introduce the camper life, consider spending a few nights camping out in your own backyard.
3. Have Fun at Home (On a Budget)
There are plenty of other ways you can enjoy the summer without straying too far from home. Some additional options to consider:
- Have your own personal film festival! Spend a day at the movie theater enjoying snacks and seeing a few movies back-to-back. Or, rig up a projector in your own living room, grab some really good food and drinks, and enjoy some favorites with just your family.
- Enjoy a spa day! Spend a whole day getting pampered and simply relaxing. Again, this is an easy and local option that doesn’t require you to get a hotel room, spend a lot of gas money, or pay the expenses of an airline.
- Try something you’ve never tried before — whether that’s enrolling in a local painting course, pottery class, or guitar lesson. Not only can it be a fun way to spend an afternoon, a day, or a week, but you just may discover a new passion that will last you a lifetime.
- Plan a game day! Invite some friends over to spend some time either playing on a favorite gaming console or getting out the table (and snacks!) for a board game bonanza!
What are You Waiting For?
Summer’s here, and time’s a-wastin’... so plan your low-key, low-cost, high-fun family vacation today.
And as you look for ways to maximize your fun, snag a banking account with Binji, which will open all kinds of doors for financial flexibility. Learn more by downloading the Binji App now!